Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Power Outage

Ok, I need to whine, lol.  Detroit Edison says the power for my area will be restored tomorrow, Wednesday between 4pm and 6pm.  It first went out on Sunday at 5:30pm with an estimated restoration time of 9:30pm to 11:30pm Monday night.  That came and went.  Then today they gave an estimated restoration time of 10:30pm to 12:30am tonight.  But now we are moved to Wednesday evening.  Evidently we don't count in the grand scheme of who gets power first, despite the fact that there are lines down across the road and a police officer has been assigned to sit at the downed power lines 24 hours a day until they are repaired.  What a monumental waste of tax dollars.  At least the hot weather is supposed to break and we will have low 70's tomorrow.  My internet also was down for about 24 hours but has since been restored.  I think they are on generator back up like I am and when the gas runs out, it fails again.  I have put 15 gallons of gas into my generator, at $4.12 a gallon.  And looks like I will have to use another 7 or 8 gallons to get through to the next restore time.  Sadly I have no air, my air conditioner which has previously run off the generator is blowing the circuit breaker when it tries to start.  96 degrees today with no air!  Let me tell you, you don't feel like crafting in hot sticky weather.  I did figure out how to circulate cold air from my crawl space into the house so it is pleasant as long as you aren't doing anything and leave the lights off, lol.  For not going anywhere for the holiday weekend, it has turned into an expensive one.  And with this last little storm that just pushed through, I have lost phone service and I live in an area that does not get a cellular signal.  Ahh, country living in mid-Michigan! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Country living is right. Makes you want to move to a condo where you don't have to worry about those things, but would miss the country living. We just got our TV and internet back on about 8:30 tonight, Tues. But thankful the house is standing and power is back on and heavenly air. LOL Hang in there. Edna

Kaye said...

Sandy...sounds dreadful! Hope things are back to normal sooner than expected for you.

Jan Scholl said...

Sounds like what I went thru about 4 years ago and Ron was in China. I could not get in my house because I had been up at Stacey's taking a class and drove home not knowing there had been a tornado go thru. I went to Meijers to buy flashlights for me (and my dog was in the car!). At least you aren't wimpy like my sister in law. She had lights out ofr 30 minutes and could NOT live without the tv, internet and called her daddy to come get her. We went five days when my kids were small. What an adventure! Stay safe. Go flirt with the cop!

Anonymous said...

Sandy - I just learned one of the reasons the recovery of our power is so slow is that alot of the equipment and manpower in Michigan is in Missouri helping those people. They sure need the help.
Hope you're back to "normal"....el

Nancy said...

Oh my sounds like you have had enough to do, and with the heat.... you could send some over to Norway;O)
Hope you are back to normal soon, sweetie.
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs, Nancy;O)

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

So sorry you are going through this. You're really lucky to have that generator. And, of course, Zeke for company! Hope you are doing OK.

Shirley said...

Oh MY Gosh!!! I wouldn't know what to do. BTW, OHIO has had rain for almost 40 days straight. I want some of it!! We are turning really hot here without any moisture in NC. Can you believe this? Amazing!! Evidently it is back now and thank goodness for you.