Sunday, June 29, 2008

Step by step Copic coloring and shading

I have been asked how I get my colors blended so well. Here is a step by step for coloring a leaf.
Step 1, I color the entire leaf with my base color G24 Willow
Step 2, I shade around the edges with G28 Ocean Green also coloring over all the veins in the leaf and anywhere you see shading
Step 3, Using the base color G24 Willow, starting with the tip of the pen in the areas I added the darker green, I pull the color towards the center of the leaf blending the two greens together. If you have harsh lines, just work at them with your base color and they will blend
Step 4 (optional), I like to take Y15 Cadmium Yellow and color over the entire leaf. I think it gives it more interest but that is personal preference.
Next, I will show you how to do the same thing but using a palette and the blender pen. Supplies used: Birch leaf - Serendipity stamps, paper - Beckett Expressions Radiance, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black ink

1 comment:

Sandy Knecht said...

Beautiful shading. You're great with mixing.