Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bass Harbor Light

I am really pleased with how nice this scene turned out. All images are from Repeat Impressions I started with the lighthouse then added the Rocky shores to create some inlets. I cut a mask for both the lighthouse and the sailboat. I started airbrushing the sky with B21 Baby Blue but my airbrush spit ink in a few spots that I would not be able to cover up in any way. So I colored the entire sky with B21 Baby Blue just using the marker directly on the paper. It made a much darker sky than I planned but I kind of like it. Next I airbrushed BV02 Prune and R81 Rose Pink into the sky which kind of evened the color out and gave it a dramatic feel. I used BG01 Aqua Blue with the airbrush for the water. The trees are G24 Willow and YG63 Pea Green, the rocks are E70 Ash Rose shaded with E71 Champagne. I used R37 Carmine for both the boat and the rooftops. I did not like how stark the white buildings and sails looked with such a dark sky, so I colored them with E50 Egg Shell. I added the seagulls to create some distance. The last step was the pines framing the scene which help to push it back as well as directing your eye into the scene. I used E35 Chamois on the pine branches. This is a fairly large scene, finished matted size is 5 x 8 3/4 inches.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Just gorgeous!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful scene Sandy! I could just look at your gorgeous work all day!

Thanks so much for your sweet email and casing one of my OCC cards, you made my week!!!

Cyber hugs,
Jennifer

PS If you ever come to Chicago, please let me know, I would LOVE to get together! :)

Karen W said...

Good scene, those stamps are working well for you!! I love the darker sky.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous I love this scene, would love to be in the boat with those people.
Sheila

Sandy Knecht said...

What a beautiful scene Sandy. I hope I'm on that sailboat. What a lovely place to sail. Great composition and colors and usual.